The great thing about the local church is that we are also part of a global church. One way we express this sense of belonging is through links we form with different people, projects and organisations committed to extending God’s kingdom locally, nationally and globally. We commit to support these through prayer, personal contact and financial giving.
Heather Clements leads the Mission Support Team. You can contact her through the Church Office.
These 8 principles guide our decisions on mission support:
- Mission support should be global as well as local (Global mission agencies; Global mission – specific projects; Local Mission)
- It should be well directed (limited to key partners) but reflect diversity of projects and partners – both geographically and thematically.
- Mission support should wherever possible be based on meaningful relationships.
- It is essential that there should be a “champion” within the church who can act as a contact point for each mission partner & be responsible for regular updates/literature etc
- Opportunities for mission feedback and input should be planned into the annual cycle of Sunday services.
- To start with (2014) we will aim to give 10% of our income to our mission partners
- Part of our mission giving should be set aside as a contingency fund – to be used to respond to emergency requests.
- Part of our mission giving should be set aside as a fund to support any of our church members engaging in short term mission.
This month’s mission focus is The Sunflower Fellowship.
The Sunflower Fellowship is a Christian charity, set up in 2001 to build and fund Casa Valentin, a home in Cataloi, Romania staffed by local Christians, providing a holiday for sick or underprivileged children. It houses up to sixteen children for a week at a time for desperately needed holiday breaks; they are cared for in a warm, loving, Christian home with good food and activities. The charity also provides a social programme, giving poorer local school children a meal and help with homework.
Click here to see some pictures and the support that Church on the Heath provided in 2019.
- for wisdom and ideas of how to adapt to the new COVID situation so that children can still benefit from Casa Valentin
- for discovery of new ways of transferring their vision to another generation
- for God’s financial blessing enabling continuity for the programmes at Casa Valentin
- for a boost in the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of all those that have been exposed to the Word of God
- for protection against harm of disease for the personnel at Casa Valentin, particularly as they adapt to new ways of working during COVID
- that we receive the number of shoe boxes needed; that the social distancing we will put into effect for checking the boxes will keep us all safe; and that there will be no problems occurring in the delivery process due to any changes in customs procedures this year.
At Church on the Heath we would love to fill and send 40 shoeboxes this year, and raise money again to purchase the contents for 20 special shoeboxes for children with Autism. The deadlines are earlier this year: donate money by mid-October and bring filled shoeboxes to church by 25th October. If some people could consider filling a shoebox for a boy that would be great, as we are often short on numbers for them. From Monday 14th September, there will be some empty shoeboxes available from the Church Office when it’s open for private prayer – first come first served.
Please pray regularly for all our Mission partners.
For more details on each partner and their specific prayer needs click the links below, and/or look at our Mission wall beside the door to the creche.
Global Mission – specific projects:
- Women Worker’s Training Centre, Tamil Nadu (S.India) – vocational & community development
- Andrew & Maria Leake (CMS – N. Argentina) – land rights for indigenous people
- The Jerusalem & the Middle East Church Association (JMECA) – medical work in Gaza and Egypt
- The Sunflower Fellowship that funds Casa Valentin in Romania
Short Term Mission Fund